Full Moon is currently 24,860 words. 22 days--I started this version on October 12. That's 1130 words per day. Not too shabby at all! (And there have been days where I've only written a sentence or two, so it's not like I'm actually writing that much each day.)

A snippet:

"Leave me be." There was anger in his voice now--anger and fear. He glanced out the window. "It's almost dawn."

"That it is," Arthur said implacably. "And you used to be able to stay human for almost a week. What happened?"

Edward avoided his gaze again. "This has been--"

"That's an excuse, not a reason," Arthur said. "You wouldn't have allowed that to stop you before!"

Elinor watched the both of them. There was something--some sadness--in Arthur's gaze now, as if he blamed himself for something that had happened to Edward. There seemed to be an ocean of unspoken words hanging between them; and an entire armada of regret.

"Leave me be," Edward whispered. His voice cracked. "Leave me be!"

"Are you a man or a wolf?" Arthur asked abruptly. Elinor thought that it seemed a strange question, but Edward paled and staggered back, his eyes wide.

Arthur sighed. "Ah. I see. What did she do?"

Edward sank down on the couch beside Elinor and buried his head in his hands. His shoulders shook; Elinor couldn't see his face to tell if he was crying, but she thought, perhaps, he was.

"What did she do?" Arthur asked again, gently this time.

"She would not let me shift," Edward whispered tonelessly. "After you died, I--I blamed myself. If I had been human--if I'd tried harder to break the curse--"

"So you sought out a witch to help you," Arthur's voice held no thread of blame.

"And she caught me instead," Edward's voice strengthened as he spoke. "She wove her spells around me and refused to let me shift."


copyright 2007 Jennifer St. Clair

Comments

Popular Posts