Today I went to the Amish stores again with my sister Emily. We didn't get back until 3pm, and I finally found GoodSeed Farm, which was the place I tried to find back in May and failed. Whew!

Anyway, I bought quite a bit of good cheese, butter, a 50lb bag of unbleached bread flour, some more whole wheat flour, oats, barley flakes (I'm going to try them as granola, maybe half oats and half barley), cocoa, rosemary, poppyseed, and more raw sunflower seeds as well. Among other things. And two Christmas presents!

We admired the baskets--including some made by 8 year olds!--and looked at the nice furniture, and had a good time. Now that I know where the other Amish store is, I'll definitely go more often, because they're actually closer. And they had a better variety of cheese.

(Garlic cheddar cheese--white, even--is fabulous. And so is smoked cheddar. And I got more of the 'brick cheese', and farmer's cheese, and lacey swiss, which is actually quite yummy.) I envision a lot of pizzas and grilled cheese sandwiches in my future. Among other things.

And yes, if you noticed, I bought 50 pounds of unbleached bread flour. I have no place to store 50lbs of flour, of course; my canning stockpot holds 25lbs, though, so I'm going to try to make do. I'm also going to make a bunch of loaves of bread for the bake sale at the craft show. Maybe 8 loaves? I could do that. That's 24 cups of flour, so it should cut down a little bit, at least. But I am looking forward to experimenting with my 50lbs of flour. :)

On our way back home we admired the leaves, and if I'd had a camera with me, I would have taken some great pictures. (I did order my new camera, finally. I'm getting the Panasonic DMC FZ50. It looks like it will be perfect for what I want to use it for, so we'll see. I hope I really like it as much as my Mavica. I also hope it lasts just as long.)

When I got home, I did the rest of the dishes, cleaned off the countertop and the stove, and had some more of my garlic cheese bread (and a salad!) for dinner. Yum.

Comments

Popular Posts