So today on Marketplace Money (the weekend edition) they had a couple on who spends over $700/month on internet/phone/cable/entertainment (internet-based) costs and really can't see where they could "cut back." And I decided to add mine up:

$44/month (internet and landline)
$30/month (cell phone)
$15/month (entertainment--NPR donation, crowdfunding donations, etc.)
----------------
$89/month total


Could I cut back? Sure; I could cut the $10/month and just read free fiction on the web. The internet and landline are tied together, so I'd have to rethink those if I wanted to cut back any further, and the cell phone is about as cheap as you can get.

I have no cable bill (don't watch TV) and anything I would watch will probably be available online anyway, for free. The vast majority of what I do online does not cost me any money. I like that.

Of course, my house payment is less than $700/month, and they lived in LA, so things are obviously different. But even so.

Comments

Popular Posts