In 2008 and for most of 2009, I used my computer primarily for writing and updating this blog. At that time, I wasn't involved in any online communities, truthfully; I'd just joined Ravelry in the summer of 2008, but hadn't gotten sucked into the groups yet. By 2010, I was well on my way to spending most of the time on my computer online, not writing. This correlates with my starting to weave, and then spin.

In August 2009, I got high-speed internet. I don't think it is a coincidence that my online presence suddenly grew a lot around that time, and it's only grown since then.

I'm not certain that's a good thing.

I contemplated whether or not I wanted "more" when I switched to high-speed internet. It wasn't much more a month, truthfully, and I have been able to do a lot more. But it's also easier to get sucked into everything online, to the detriment of the world right behind me or right outside my door. It's much easier to sit down and watch something on Netflix versus going outside and working in the garden or writing.

In 2012, I started writing in notebooks again, in a quest to spend more of my time writing, and to limit my screen time. That meant, of course, that when I was on my computer, I was online, so it didn't really work all that well, at least at first. I got more written, but I also spent more time on the computer just wasting time. And when I say wasting, I mean wasting. I complained I didn't have enough time to do what I loved, and yet, I had enough time to complain about it. Extensively. See the problem there?

I've written 15,426 posts on Ravelry. Between July of 2008 and April of 2010, I wrote approximately 1100 of those posts. Mid-2010 is when my Ravelry presence really picked up, and it snowballed from there.

Now, I can't say Ravelry and the people I've met--and the friends I've met--haven't been good things in my life. But... I can't say it's all been great, either. And I think it's time--actually, long past time--that my presence there--and elsewhere--starts to fade a bit. I'm in a better place right now. This is the Year of Completion, after all. I need to work on things here, in my life, not spent my time chatting online, even with friends.

I want to have time to do what I love to do. Until I have a different job and a shorter commute, I have to live with what I have, and I've learned these past two years that I truly and honestly don't have a lot of time to spend online anymore. I'm not leaving; I'll pop in here and there, and I'll keep updating this blog, because I've been doing that long before Ravelry or even Facebook.

I have learned a lot during my time on Ravelry. I can't say I haven't, because it wouldn't be truth. I've learned a lot, and I've started some things that will be with me forever. But right now, I'm needed here, not there. And that is how it is.

Here's the thing: I don't have any desire to be constantly connected to the internet. To be online, 24/7. I want my time online to be more productive. I also want to get more done around my house and yard, without sitting in front of my computer complaining about how I don't have time to do anything. I got a lot more accomplished when I wasn't so involved on Ravelry. That's the honest truth and nothing more.

I was once a member of over 60 groups, although I didn't participate in all of them. I'm now down to 6. I think that's a good beginning.

Comments

Grey Walker said…
Wow. Good for you, sweetie.

Popular Posts