A conversation about relationships brought forth the following criteria. If I were to ever consider getting married again, this is what I would look for:

Someone who…

Desires a partnership, not a dictatorship
Doesn’t mind clutter
Is willing to compromise
Is an avid reader or a writer
Likes to garden
Is interested in conservation
Is between 28-35
Hates carpet and likes wood floors
Likes to hike
Collects antiques, or likes to antique
Will support me in anything I wish to do
Is much, much, much more mature than my ex
Would like to live in rural Ohio on a farm or with a lot of land
Could care less about sports

Does that person exist? Honestly, if I look hard enough, perhaps. But I’m not holding my breath. I’m not all that anxious to find another relationship; I’m using this time I have now to work on myself and what I want to do. And to help my parents out. :)

In the course of yesterday’s conversation, we decided that most of today’s children (or young adults/twenty-somethings) are being raised to expect quick results to everything in their lives. No one wants to spend time working on relationships anymore. Everyone wants it now, now, now, their way or the highway and supersized.

This is both a sad and alarming trend, and I don’t see it stopping unless more and more parents, friends, and relatives step in to set good examples to their loved ones. Now, I’m not a paragon of virtue myself, but I try to be kind to others, to not allow things I cannot change affect my mood, and to try to become a better person every day. It’s hard sometimes, but what’s the alternative? I could become a bitter angry-at-the-world person, but what’s the use of that? There isn’t anything constructive about bitterness or anger. There isn’t anything constructive about complaining about minor things just to get under someone’s skin. I lose my temper just like everyone else, but at least I’ve learned to stop and think first most of the time. And those times when my temper gets the best of me… well, I’ll just have to try harder to recognize trigger points in the future. :)

Do people really believe that if they’re miserable in this life then they will be rewarded in the next? Or have they just grown so accustomed to rudeness and anger that they no longer remember happiness? In this age of uncertainty, we need all the goodness we can get to survive.

This is beginning to ramble a bit, and I’m not even sure I’m succeeding in getting across what I want to say. It’s a hard theme to pin down, in truth, perhaps because I’m not even sure where the root of the real problem lies.

Which is the start to another thought entirely, and will have to gel a bit before I go on...

Comments

Popular Posts