I have this rule that anything I do* has to pay for itself, at least the cost of materials. Meaning, if I knit and crochet, I have to sell enough to keep me in yarn and knitting needles or crochet hooks. It has to be self-sufficient, not in time involved (although that's always nice) but in cost of supplies. Same goes with jewelrymaking.

That's one of the reasons why I don't stamp anymore. Stamping, while interesting enough, was far too expensive supply-wise to ever support itself. I couldn't make enough money selling cards or what-have-yous for less than $1 each to cover the cost of buying very expensive sets of stamps. (I spent approximately $600-$750 on stamps in the space of a year and a half. I sold them for more than what I paid for them, but not by much.)

This is probably why I haven't actively pursued really learning how to play a musical instrument, now that I think about it. All of my collections have value (yes, even the typewriters) and everything I do has value. (Sometimes I'm the only one who can see the value. But it's there.)

But anyway. For years and years and years, writing has not been self-supporting. Largely because of the fact that prior to 2001 I didn't submit anything much at all.

This is why I like epublishing and small publishers. Not only do you get a quick turnaround (for the most part), you do make enough money to cover expenses.

Expenses are negligible unless you count computer equipment, but the only thing I own that I use 99% exclusively for writing is the Dana, and I did make just about enough in royalties last year to cover that cost.

I fully intend to use royalty money to buy myself a new computer by the time I move out, if things continue to go the way they're going. Or, at least, a good portion of the cost, since I don't just use the computer for writing. ;)

Not everything I do has monetary returns, of course. Growing my own food has cost returns, because I don't have to buy food if I grow it. Doing yoga has health returns, and makes me less-likely to have to have health concerns. (Okay, maybe everything has monetary returns in the long run. Which puts my point all the more in perspective.)

And that's probably one of the reasons I don't watch TV. I have so much better things to do with my very important time.

I realize that not everyone shares my point of view. When I explained to someone the reason why I didn't stamp anymore, they didn't understand my reasoning. But to me, it's sound. I don't do things (hobbies, whatever) to lose money.

And that's also the reason why I price things cheap enough for normal people to buy. I can't stand seeing necklaces, for example, that cost less than $3 and less than fifteen minutes to make (and yes, that's the average cost of any necklace I've seen at craft shows) being sold for $20-$25 or more. (I do average in time involved for jewelrymaking, btw. But it's not much time at all.) That is why I was able to sell my chokers for $4 ea., 3 for $10 at the craft show and still make a profit.

Anyway. I think this post is beginning to ramble, and I've probably gone on long enough.

(*outside of the day job, like hobbies, or writing.)

Comments

Popular Posts