The Jacob Lane books have always been in one POV (Jacob's) except for the prologues, which set up the scene, so to speak.

In this book, there's so much going on off-screen that the main story is shorter than normal. Last night, I effectively wrote the climax, and I only got to (can't remember exactly) around 24k. That's way too short. Wrap up could extend it to 35k, but that's still 5k shorter than novel-length, and 7k shorter than the shortest one so far. Obviously, something must be done.

I'll continue on as I'm going now, and then reread and add more scenes as necessary. I don't want this to be under 40k, and I'd like it to be around 42-43k. Short of adding other POVs, which would have to be of adults, and I don't really want to do that in a YA novel.

Unless--hmm. The prologue's POV character could be that other POV character. He's not an adult, and while that would change the format a bit, it wouldn't leave the reader hanging about what's going on outside of Jacob's POV. Interesting! I may have found my solution. :)

Needless to say, even if I do this, I will probably be finished by the end of the week. *boggle* I certainly didn't expect that at all.

Comments

Popular Posts