Maumee Valley Writers Conference Mar. 19, 2005

(I'm actually writing this Saturday night around 10pm on my Dana. I just got home about 20 minutes ago. This is incentive for me to hotsync tomorrow so I can post this on my blog.)

Dad and I left around noon on Friday, and between stopping at almost every antique shop and mall between Bethel and Toledo, we managed to stretch a four hour drive into seven hours.
The haul:

From Anna, Ohio:

A copper 'utensils' canister that matches my copper canister set forr $4
A handmade stoneware casserole with handles $3 (I passed up the rest of the set and picked the most unique piece)

From Wapakoneta, Ohio:
Two books, one a seed book and one a cookbook $3.50/each
An old knobby walkingstick $5

From FIndlay, Ohio:
Two old lodge robes, $9/each (A long time ago, I came across a bunch of these someone was selling at Burlington for $5/each. I bought three or four of the better ones, including a gorgeous silver silk satin robe with black embroidery. The silk had begun to shatter in places, and it needed a lot of work, but it was a really wonderful find. Very Lady of Shallot, if you get my reference. Unfortunately, the silver robe was one of the irreplacable things lost when the basement in Columbus flooded. By the time I realized the bag it (and a couple of other nice vintage clothing items) had gotten wet, it was too late and the entire bag was full of mold and mildew. I had to throw it away without even a scrap to remember it by.) I picked up a black velvet robe with silver embroidery (iirc, they are still in the car) and a black one with blue and purple embroidery. I passed up a wine colored velvet robe for $36 that I couldn't bring myself to spend so much money on.

Dad also picked up a couple of things, so the journey was fruitful.

We reached the hotel, checked in, and then went to find somewhere to eat. Friday meant fish or no meat, so we went looking for a Red Lobster or something that would have meatless items on the menu. After driving around for almost an hour and not finding much of anything at all, we ended up at Ciao! an authentic Italian restaurant.

It was divine. I had salmon over cheese-filled ravioli with mushrooms and tomatoes and Dad had the special, which was whitefish with a blueberry sauce and asparagus and potatoes. It was the best salmon I've ever eaten in my life. Every bite was to be savored. I'm sure dessert would have been equally delicious, but it wasn't a cheap restaurant and Dad was paying (and I was full, for that matter) and it was getting late, so we opted to go back to the hotel.

I neglected to realize that Red Roof Inns don't provide shampoo and conditioner like every other hotel I've ever been in, so I had to stop at Walgreens and get some. No big deal. I was pleased to discover, however, that Red Roof Inns allow pets! (Well-behaved, but still.) This is cool, and I will remember that if I'm ever traveling with Mabel or any of the cats.

Dad informed me that he always checks under the mattresses when he's in a hotel room. He checked under his mattress and found an empty Bacardi bottle. That and the fact that the TV was set to the Adult Viewing station gave me the creeps! Thankfully there was nothing under my mattress.

I didn't sleep much at all Friday night for some reason. Perhaps it was the lack of clocks ticking in the background that kept me up. But I didn't feel tired Saturday morning, and after Dad dropped me off, I tried to remember not to be nervous. I failed.

Standing up in front of crowds (Okay, 18 people in the first session) has always been my downfall. However, since I knew my subject and liked it, I realized about halfway through that I wasn't nervous anymore. I think my first session went well, although I had one person come up afterwards and tell me she thought it was too basic. I told her that since the beginners outnumbered the more advanced writers, I kind of had to go with the majority.

But that was the only shadow in a very lovely day. Even though the weather left much to be desired, I had a wonderful time at the conference. My second session went off quite well, with 6 people in attendance. I really enjoyed myself, and I'd do it again next year if they ask me back. And I got to meet Bob Nailor, who is a member of the Fantasywriter list I'm on, along with his wife (both wonderful people!)

We got home Saturday night, and everyone was really happy to see me, especially Mischa and Mabel.

Yesterday, Dad and I went to Sam's, where I picked up a couple of things I needed, and I started to clean the kitchen. (I know that's not on my list, but I'm working my way around.) I'm planning to finish the kitchen today, I hope.

This morning, I took Chloe in to the vet's to be spayed. They didn't tell me she would be kept overnight; I expected I could pick her up this evening! Poor Chloe. This means, of course, I will be leaving work for a bit to pick her up in the morning, take her home, make sure she's comfortable, and then I'll go back to work. I don't want her to have to stay there for too long. (She wasn't very happy to leave me, either.) :(

So anyway, that's the weekend. I've got to go take a shower and get to work.

Comments

Popular Posts