And then tonight I went back out to the garden to pick the okra, and picked more tomatoes, more beans (I have about six pounds of beans in my fridge right now) and... about four pounds of okra.

That's a lot of okra. Luckily, I have coworkers who like okra. Half will be going to them tomorrow. :)

I have two varieties of okra this year. The volunteer red okra from last year, and Clemson Spineless, which is a totally different plant, kind of delicate. The red okra, which really didn't grow at all last year, are like sapling trees in the garden. Some of them are up to my chin in height. It's Hill Country Red according to the Seeds Savers Exchange site. I think next year I will get Silver Queen Okra. That looks very interesting! The Clemson Spineless just started to bear; there are about fifty plants.

I'm very glad I like okra.

Boy is it humid outside, though!

Some of my tomatoes are getting burned by the sun. Only one variety, however; the others are ripening quite nicely. I am actually losing more to the stink bugs and the grasshoppers than slugs this year. I'm not sure where my slugs are. I haven't seen any at all.

The big corn is ripening; the miniature corn is pretty much done, although I'm finding missed ears here or there and still picking them. The hyacinth beans are everywhere, and starting to bear; I'll save those seeds for next year. They aren't technically considered edible, although evidently you can eat them with the correct preparations. I'm okay with leaving them as decorative.

I will attempt to get some pictures this weekend, because my sunflowers with the hyacinth beans twining up them and the zinnias and everything else blooming just look fabulous.

Oh, and the lima beans are loaded. I could actually start picking them for shell beans right now, which I might do. The other beans are seriously everywhere; they are even growing up the spruce tree and on my lines holding my trellis upright. I'm sure they are in the forsythia as well.

So far, the garden is growing really well this year. I might even put up some crushed tomatoes this weekend. I don't have enough yet for juice, but it won't be long...

Comments

Popular Posts