Burlington was today--we didn't leave as early as last time, thank goodness!

It rained early in the morning, and was dreadfully humid the rest of the day. And I think it rained twice more while we were there. In fact, it's raining right now, the tail end of a storm that just blew through and dropped the temperature about 15 degrees.

Well, what with the rain and all, I didn't expect much from this Burlington, and I didn't buy a lot. I sold the only spinning wheel I brought and a bunch of stuff from the $2 table, but the bigger sales were few and far between.

My first find of the day, however, is something I saw on ebay once upon a time, and figured I'd never find one "in the wild." Well, on my first foray out, I walked into one of the larger buildings, checked out one seller's stuff, and was about to walk away when something caught my eye. I think it was the crank on top, actually. And I seriously stood there and stared at it for a moment, because I couldn't believe I would find a Universal #1 Cake Maker (to go with my Universal #4 Bread Maker, of course), which was the equivalent of a Kitchen Aid mixer in 1905--for $10--ever. And it's in good, usable condition, too!

Here's a bit more about Landers, Frary, and Clark.

I then found two cookbook pamphlets and two cookbooks, one signed by the author (TOPS: The Home-makers Friend Cookbook, published in 1952) and a 1938 copy of the Watkins Cookbook.

The former seems to be really rare; it doesn't even show up on addall.com, which is really unusual. I wonder how many copies are really in existence. If I google George Dorcheff and cookbook, only a handful of mentions come up. Very weird! It's self-published, but even so. They do usually pop up on addall.com. Anyway, the pamphlets were 2/$1, the cookbooks $1/each, so I think that was a good price.

And really, the only other things I purchased was a set of dishes, unmarked, stoneware, that I swear I've seen before somewhere. (So far no luck looking up the maker, however.) They are solid colors, green, purple, blue, and medium brown. There's a salad plate, a cup, and a saucer in each color. It's matte glaze like Bennington pottery, which is one of the reasons why I liked it, but I also like the colors. I hope I can find out who made it and maybe find more on ebay; that would be nice.

Spinning wheel-wise, the fake was back (and someone bought it) but otherwise, no spinning wheels at Burlington this month.

Comments

Popular Posts