To: Ethan Fisher

From: Santa
1211 Candycane Ln.
North Pole

Dear Ethan,

‘Twas the Night Before Christmas and the elves were asleep,
Sleeping so soundly and dreaming of sheep,
I had just powered up the sleigh and the crew,
Getting ready to deliver the presents to you,
When outside my door there arose such a clatter
That I had to go see just what was the matter!

Imagine my surprise when I saw a small car--
And a postman, quite frozen, who had driven quite far.
"Oh Santa," he said, "Please forgive me, oh please!"
He held out a letter and started to sneeze.
"I meant to deliver this letter to you--
But it got lost in my bag--oh what shall I do?"

The letter he held was a rumpled old thing
Held together with tape and a small bit of string.
It was postmarked with plenty of time before Christmas,
But if the postman had been any later, it would have missed us!
I opened it carefully, and read the short note.
It was from a boy named Ethan, and this is what he wrote:

"Dear Santa, Does Rudolph’s nose really glow in the dark?
Do you ever get lost? Have you flown through the park?
Do you know where I live? My Pa looks like you!
Do you think Tea will fix my snowman with glue?
Will you bring me an Iceman backpack this year?
I will leave out some carrots for your eight reindeer!

Could you bring a new bone for Mabel the dog?
And could you maybe, just maybe, bring me two frogs?
I know I’m only four, but I swear
I will feed my frogs crickets and take extra care
To make sure that they get everything that they need
WIth my Mama’s help, since I don’t know how to read. (yet)

Love, Ethan Fisher"

Well, as you can imagine, I was quite dismayed,
Since letters to Santa aren’t usually so delayed.
But what could I do? It was Christmas Eve!
But they don’t call me Santa for nothing--I had something up my sleeve...
Without a word to the postman, I jumped in his car,
And drove like a madman to the nearest swamp (it’s very far)

And while my reindeer all wondered if Christmas would be late,
I knew I couldn’t disappoint you, Ethan, so I didn’t hesitate.
With a small green net I searched on the ground
For the source of the croaking I heard all around.
But there wasn’t a single frog in sight!
Oh what would I do? It was Christmas Eve night!

Just about to give up, I leaned against a nearby tree,
But wait! What was that? What did I see?
The frogs weren’t on the ground at all,
But up in the trees--and they were quite small.
They changed colors from green to olive to brown
But the swamp was full of frogs all around!

I quickly asked two if they wanted to be
The pets of a nice young man, you see.
I promised them crickets and plenty to drink
And they hopped in my net before I could blink!
So quickly I drove back in the postman’s small car
For some reason, this time, it didn’t seem so far.

Once I arrived, I hopped on my sleigh
With the frogs nestled in my beard for most of the way.
I had to hurry, and I had no time
To fix them up a cage, I hope you don’t mind.
But they were so comfy that they fell asleep
And I forgot to deliver them--they didn’t make a peep!

So I caught your Aunt Tea before she left your house--
I snuck up on her, quiet as a mouse!
"Oh, Santa," she said, "Aren’t you a bit late?
Ethan’s not here--he’s in Bethel-Tate!"
Without wasting a moment, I explained the events,
and showed her your letter and your late presents.

The frogs croaked and hopped onto Mabel’s head
But she didn’t try to eat them--or else they’d be dead!
Tea found them a cage and set it up nice
And promised to deliver them to you for no price.
While she was busy I wrote out this verse,
And tried to make it rhyme with many a curse!

Then I hopped in my sleigh and woke up my crew,
And as we flew away, I knew what I had to do.
I waved to your house, and flew over your tree,
Shouting, "Merry Christmas to Ethan, Mama, and Tea!"

Love,
Santa

P.S.--I will be watching you!!!

(copyright 2006 Jennifer St. Clair)

Comments

Popular Posts