I always look at the showcased items on Etsy's front page, and today was no exception. But what I saw there today just made me mad.

(This is crossposted from LJ.)

This seller has to be delusional.

Or, alternately, which might be more true--they seriously do not know what they are doing.

Oh, it's an antique from the early 1900s! It must be worth a lot of money
!

Anyone dumb enough to buy an antique rolling pin for $110 deserves to be fleeced by shady antique dealers. And to me, this one is suspect as to how antique it actually is; it's old, sure, but I'm not sure I like the looks of the finish/patina for actual antique value.

Unless, of course, the rolling pin is made of birds-eyed maple, or tiger maple or somesuch (or, alternately, handcarved and new), and this one is not. A quick look at ebay tells me that the most expensive wooden rolling pin was--understandably--a Shaker double rolling pin that sold for $175; a springerlie rolling pin that sold for $78.77, and then another springerlie rolling pin that sold for $75.00. There was a lot of 6 vintage rolling pins that sold for $40.99 (that's $6.83/each, not counting shipping), but the most expensive single wooden rolling pin was a whopping $28.75, which is a far cry from $110, and even that one's unusual. Next after that is a noodle roller for $28--that's actually not a bad price--but again, these are not normal rolling pins.

The going price for a normal wooden antique or vintage rolling pin? I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but great-grandma's rolling pin--unless it's unusual--is worth about $10-$15.

How do I know this? I have a rolling pin collection. And I'm still kicking myself for not paying $28 for the gorgeous birdseye maple rolling pin at the antique store a few months ago.

Comments

Popular Posts