I don't know about you, but I am madly in love with raw sunflower seeds. They have so much more flavor than roasted ones! Thankfully, the semi-local Amish bulk foods store carries them for a reasonable price, so the last time I went there, I stocked up.

Tonight, I made Oatmeal Sunflower Seed cookies. It is a variation of a recipe I found online. And while I wondered if the flavoring (vanilla) and just plain sugar (although I did use organic sugar) would be enough to make them tasty (I almost added cinnamon), I shouldn't have worried. They are delicious!


Here is the recipe:

Oatmeal Sunflower Seed Cookies

Ingredients:

1 stick butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar (I used organic evaporated cane juice sugar)
1 egg (I did use a fresh-from-the-local-farm egg)
2 tsp. real vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. sunflower seeds (I used raw. If you use roasted and salted, I'd cut down on the salt)
1 1/4 c. oats (I used regular oats)
1 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder

Some extra sugar for dipping.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together until well creamed. Add salt, sunflower seeds, oats, flour, and baking powder. Mix well. This was a very sticky dough. Roll into small balls and dip into sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom. Makes approximately 2 dozen.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts