One of the things I bought for myself this holiday season was another sourdough starter. So, this morning, to not waste any ingredients in the preparation stages (I really hate the fact that they recommend discarding half; I mean, why? You can bake with it just as well as anything) I made sourdough pancakes for breakfast. They were quite tasty.

Currently, I'm eating a piece of Oatmeal Sourdough Bread with peanut butter; it's also quite tasty. That's to use up the "discard half" recommendation, and no loss of ingredients. No loss of taste, either, and it rose just fine. I adapted the recipe I had for use in the bread machine (I didn't really want to knead dough today) and it was perfect.

I'm going to attempt Sourdough French mixed in the bread machine in a bit here, using the actual sourdough starter this time. The book I have has a great Sourdough French bread recipe, which I have made before. It's supposed to make two loaves, but they tend to turn out rather small, so I'm just going to bake it as one slightly-larger-than-regular sized-loaf, since it calls for only 1/2 cup more flour than my normal loaf.

I have sourdough pancakes in the freezer to eat later on this week, too. And a whole book of recipes to try, including sourdough cookies.

Comments

Popular Posts