In honor of the first cool day in weeks (it's only supposed to get up to 81 today!) and to use up some of the garden produce I've been receiving (and picking) lately, I decided to make a big pot of my Anything-Goes Vegetable Soup.

What follows is a very adaptable receipe, which, of course, tastes best if you use fresh everything, but I understand that can't be possible for everyone (and I didn't use all fresh ingredients either, because I don't have everything.):

2 cans of tomato sauce with no salt added (or 1 qt. fresh tomato sauce)
1 qt. of water (or fill a medium-sized mixing bowl with water and go from there)
1 can of kidney beans, drained (two would probably be better, but I only had one)
1 medium zucchini, chopped into pieces
3 small yellow squash (I think they are called crookneck?), chopped into pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
Either a bag of frozen chopped carrots or a bag of baby carrots, or two or so cups of cut-up carrots
1 qt. fresh or frozen corn
Four tomatoes or so, cut up

You could add the following: green beans, chopped onions or chives, other types of squash, potatoes (oops! I knew I forgot something!), or anything else you have lying around.

Also add:

A couple of torn up basil leaves (I used sweet basil), a couple of sprigs of thyme (I used lemon thyme), a bit of oregano, and a tiny, tiny shake of ginger.

Yum. Hmm. I wonder if it's too late to put in the potatoes...

Comments

Popular Posts