So what then?

How do I recreate my life more like the one I want to live?

You know, my goal has always been to get to the point where I can live on half my salary, and then get a part-time job closer to home so I can concentrate on the stuff that's important to me. That has always been my goal. I've lost sight of it here and there; that's one of the reasons why I have credit card debt, after all. If my sights had been set on my goal, I'd be out of debt and closer to that goal right now instead of trying to figure out how to step back on the path.

One big glaring stumbling block is debt--credit card and mortgage. It would be much easier to support myself doing the things I love to do if I didn't have those two things hanging over my head. And in reality, my mortgage isn't that large, compared to, say, rent elsewhere or even nearby. (Hint: It's less than $650/month.)

Other expenses as they stand now are less than $500/month, except in winter when the heating bill is more.

Obviously, to go about this, I would have to make a plan. I would have to seriously concentrate on paying off the extraneous debt, save any extra money, and develop some other income sources that would end up becoming my main income when that time comes.

Pros: I have plenty of space to work in. I have lots of skills. And quite a bit of determination, especially now.

Pros: It's just me, the cats, and the dog.

Pros: I have a 12" lathe, plenty of yarn, enough fabric to last me for at least three years, and enough supplies so that my overhead shouldn't be very high. I also have seventeen books published, and more in the pipeline.

Pros: I want whatever I decide to do to reflect the world I want to live in. That means recycled when applicable, repurposed, earthy, woodsy. Natural fibers, and natural colors. Handmade. Handcarved.



Cons: I work a 40-hour a week job with a 3-hour a day commute, which, if I only factor in city taxes, parking fees, and gas, costs me an extra $300/month, minimum. (Depending on the price of gas.)


If I could make my salary in alternate income for six months, I could pay off my credit card debt. All of it.

The trick would be to be able to make that much money in alternate income.

My birthday is October 14th. Obviously, I need to have some things in place before I start any of this; a dedicated space set up for sewing, for example, among other things. There are 43 days left until my birthday.

I want to have everything set up and in place to "launch" my crafting income by my birthday. To launch my "save"; my attempt to do what I want to do instead of what I have to do. To enjoy what I do with the majority of my day. To make my income mean something more than just a paycheck.

There will be many updates, I'm sure, from now until then. And probably some joy, and probably some despair. But I'm tired. I'm tired of feeling trapped. I'm tired of worrying about my finances. I'm tired of office politics. And although I've only been commuting since March, I'm tired of the commute.

I've had a full time job since I was 19 years old. I think 18 years is long enough to be able to decide that I'd rather do something I love versus something that I'm merely good at. Call it a pre-midlife crisis. Call it whatever you want. But my eyes are open now.

My goal has always been to get to the point where I can live on half my salary, and then get a part-time job closer to home so I can concentrate on the stuff that's important to me.

Now is the time to pursue that goal and not let it fall by the wayside again.

Comments

Grey Walker said…
Hip, hip, hurray! Hip, hip, hurray!

This is just lovely! You can do it!
Unknown said…
Go, Jen!

Popular Posts