I realized something on my way home this evening. Here I've been trying to figure out a way to put all of my crafting stuff--for spindles, sewing, weaving, spinning, etc.--in one place. It's a good theory, but truthfully, if I want my house to be free of piles and clutter, then it doesn't really work.

I have a lot of fabric. There's no way I can store all of my fabric downstairs in the Green Room, even if I got rid of half (which I'm not intending to do.)

I have a lot of yarn. That's pretty corralled at the moment, and I'm happy with where it is. Same with the fiber for spinning. I've destashed quite a bit, and I'm happy with what I have/the storage I have, at least for the moment.

I have a lot of beads and buttons and suchlike for making spindles and/or other things.

I would like to get into dyeing fiber for spinning. I would like to be able to do that downstairs. I would like to set up my lathe somewhere, and have a spot somewhere to sand spindles or whatever I make.

And I have (technically) three extra bedrooms upstairs. It would be absolutely stupid for me not to use them.

So, I'm going to be reorganizing a bit more. So far, my thought is that the sewing stuff (fabric, etc.) can go into Bekah's old bedroom (the one I cleaned out while I was on vacation), which has fabulous light due to the east and south facing windows. Plus, it has two closets. There's already a large chest of drawers in that room, and I can bring additional ones in.

All of my sewing machines can fit in that room. I can have a table in the middle for cutting out patterns. I can have plenty of storage for fabric and notions.

And I'm moving my workbench upstairs in to the former craft room. So far, my thought is that the oak desk can go where my blue desk was. The wall 'o fabric can go into the other room along with the other chest of drawers, unless I need it in that room for storage. My workbench and the washstand can go where the oak desk currently sits. (Or I can leave the oak desk in place and put my workbench and washstand where my blue desk used to be to be closer to the plug.) That will be my "workroom/Project room." Legitimate projects will be stored along the (cleared) wall, like a couple of project spinning wheels and my rope bed.

I will also clean out the current project/junk room and use that as a legitimate spare bedroom. My TV will also go up there and out of the living room.

Speaking of the living room, the aim is uncluttered. So Talia (the small floor loom) will go between the hallway door and the pocket doors in the Green Room. The Green Room will become the weaving room; the living room can keep all the spinning wheels except for Sofia (who is in the library) and the two Great Wheels (they can probably both go in the Green Room.)

I need to spread out to be able to make this work. And it's stupid to have empty rooms upstairs that have no purpose. So, currently, that's what I'm going to do.

Comments

Popular Posts