I got the pins and didn't end up finding mine, so I guess I'm glad I got them. Anyway, you can never have enough pins, right?

Today I decided to take a day for myself and create a new doll pattern from scratch. I looked through a couple of my craft books for inspiration, and then on ebay for ideas. I wanted something primitive but not ugly primitive (this one reminds me of the Nightmare Before Christmas. And actually, there are a lot more ugly primitive dolls than nice looking primitive dolls on ebay. *shudder* Why do people pay for these things?) (Another NBC candidate.)

Anyway, before I have nightmares tonight, and since it's past time for me to go to bed, I created a pattern, used my sewing machine to sew it (entirely, even the thumbs!) and ended up with an idea I think might just work.

I have a stack of storystuff sitting beside me and languishing on my computer, and some of those unfinished stories have characters that just won't go away. I might end up finishing the stories eventually--I don't know.

And I've been wanting to make character dolls for a while now, especially the Butterfly Girl from Second Coming. I had an idea a long time ago to create the dolls and sell them with excerpts from their stories. Up until now, I didn't have a name for what I wanted to do.

Enter Storystuffed Dolls and Bears. No website as of yet, but I finished the first doll just about an hour ago. Here are some pictures, but mind the flash. I'll have better pictures when I post her on ebay tomorrow. All the dolls as well as the bears come with a story. (I'll have to write the bear stories, but that's ok. It will give me practice writing shorter stuff.)

Without further ado, the witch Xithe, from Stoneshards:



Her hair is two different kinds of wool yarn, one that makes her look like she has dreadlocks, and one unravelled.

I used two partial skeins of yarn for her hair, and it's all hand-knotted on. (Whew! About 2 1/2 hours of work, there.)

She is made out of cream colored linen, and her skirt is also linen.



Her sleeves (I'll have more detailed pics tomorrow) are sleeves from an Edwardian blouse that unfortunately had seen much better days.

Her petticoat is a piece from a curtain that is probably from the 30s. Her boots are painted on, but there are laces that are really tied, made out of linen cord.

She is 19 inches high, and carries a little basket for collecting herbs and wild food, since that's what she was doing when she entered the story.

I almost don't want to sell her. :)



Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts