Every time I sleep downstairs, I get rudely awakened by Certain Kitties who have decided that since I'm sleeping downstairs, I must not really want to sleep. So they will go and do their loud business (chase bugs, knock things off tables, sharpen their claws on the kitty tree, etc.) that I know they don't normally do at night, because they are upstairs with me. Or maybe they do it anyway and I just don't hear them.

Either way, I've been rather tired today.

But that didn't stop me from looking up how to make ravioli with my new rolling pins; I found a great video on Youtube (and yes, I also ordered a copy of her book, because it sounded good.) Watching that video sent me on a quest to find a rolling pin just like the one she uses--the long non-tapered stick, and I realized that I could make them (shorter ones could be turned on my lathe; longer ones would have to be dowels until I have (haha) a lathe that holds longer lengths of wood) and that sent me on a quest to find the right size of dowels to be able to make them. I did track some down--from a local dowel company, even--so I filed that away for later, when my lathe is up and running. (Aiming for fall at this point.) I did eventually find one on Etsy (actually I found more than one; there are quite a few very nice ones on Etsy) in Birdseye Maple. (Um, the price was just a teensy bit more than the dowels I'd priced online. I think I need to find a local woodworking shop for supplies like this other than the dowel place.)

When I went to the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill last year, I bought a tapered French rolling pin in cherry. I used it last year to make something I now can't remember--a quick look back at my blog shows that it was probably the Cinnamon Swirl Bread--and it was so nice to use as opposed to a regular rolling pin that I was quite hooked. (Not that I don't use my other rolling pins; I do. Especially my osage orange one, which is good because it's so heavy.)

Here's a current picture of the State of the Rolling Pins in my kitchen:


Rolling pins and knives

I'll admit, that looks like a lot of them, even for me, but in truth, it's about a fourth of what I had before. I kept only my absolute favorites when I weeded them last year and early this year, and the number hasn't grown much at all since then. In fact, the noodle and ravioli rolling pins were the first ones I've purchased since the Big Rolling Pin Destash. (My Osage Orange rolling pin is second from the top on the wall.) As you probably see, I'm a big fan of ones that don't have movable handles.

So anyway, another incentive for getting my lathe hooked up and ready to go.

I've always wanted to make pasta, and did try once, with disastrous results, but I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong that time, so I'm willing to try again. Especially ravioli, which I love to eat and don't eat much of at all. It will be a nice new culinary adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts