I'm sure you've all heard of the term "Indian Summer." To me, Indian Summer is a space of days where it gets in the mid-80s, high-80s and then drops back into civilized weather, say, 75F.

Indian Summer isn't 99F degrees, although I do think it got up to 100F yesterday in places.

Yesterday actually wasn't so terrible because the humidity was nice and low, but today? The humidity's already up to 84% outside, which I found out when I went out an hour ago to pick stuff from the sadly neglected garden (at least this week, due to getting home late from work two nights and too hot otherwise.)

So today's my day to work in the Green Room and rearrange furniture. Hopefully, the air is on (yes, already) for the last time this year. I'd hoped not to turn it on at all again (and did not last night, although I probably should have) but if I'm moving furniture and getting all hot and sweaty anyway, and knowing the way this house heats up, especially in the afternoon, I think it's for the best. My budget can certainly handle one day of air conditioning.

I picked okra, tomatoes, and beans, mostly. One ear of big corn to check it out. Something is nibbling on the ends of the ears of corn. My guess would be birds? Because raccoons would knock the whole corn plant over, and they are still upright.

Also, I found one vine of volunteer beans growing up the maple tree that serves as a fence post (I chop it to fence post heighth every year and it just won't die.) These volunteers have a blush of red on the bean pods, but they aren't cranberry beans because they have round pods. So I am not sure what variety they are. Since there is only one vine (and it hangs over the thickest part of the okra where I can't get to easily) I won't get a lot from these, but I may save some seeds for next year because I like the look of them.

I will be freezing beans and okra this weekend, along with chopping tomatoes to freeze for soups. It's going to be a busy weekend, definitely!

Comments

Grey Walker said…
Busy, but pleasant, it sounds like. :)
Jennifer said…
Yep, not so bad! It's supposed to be cooler today, thank goodness!

Popular Posts