The second-to-last Burlington was today--and yes, there was a $50 spinning wheel there (a Great Wheel, even) but the wheel was so warped it wasn't funny and someone had... done some weirdness to the finish, plus it was missing the tension nut, so it didn't come home with me. There was also another Great Wheel there, pretty nice, in truth, also missing the tension screw and nut. It also had a replacement back leg, which isn't a big deal, but it was a bit obvious. I did like the turnings, however. That one was $135, and didn't come home with me either. Maybe if it's there next month I can talk them down a bit more.

There was a miniature decorative Great Wheel there; now, that one came home with me, because I can put it on my craft show table, plus it will take me about five minutes to make it a working (albeit tensionless) wheel. I think the wheel itself is about 8" in diameter, perhaps. And of course I can't do that tonight, because I forgot to unpack it from Dad's van! And that's the one thing I wanted to bring home with me. It's marked; I can't read the writing on the side of the table, but it's cute. And it was pretty cheap, so I was pleased.

I brought Elinor, and still have Elinor. There were a couple of interested people, moreso when I sat down and started to spin (and had a dozen people standing in front of me; it was hilarious) but she came home with me anyway. That's ok; she'll go with me to the Appalachian Fest in West Union in October. (Hopefully along with a few others.)

I did make a few other purchases, mostly books. The Book Guy was back (he's been gone for three months; I was just about to dig out his phone number and give him a call, but all was well) and I found one book at his booth: The Illustrated Herbal by Wilfrid Blunt and Sandra Raphael, the 1994 edition.

Elsewhere, I found Brewing Made Easy for my sister's boyfriend, Bricklaying Simplified for me, The Douse Apocalypse, part of the Faber Library of Illuminated Manuscripts (which is really neat), The Owls of North America (I had no clue there were so many owls in North America), Farm House Cookbook by Susan Herrmann Loomis, Bernard Clayton's Cooking Across America (I actually have all of his books now, I think.), Fields of Greens by Annie Somerville, The Grains Cookbook by Bert Greene, and Historical Collections of Ohio, V. 2 by Howe, the 1904 edition (obviously I should get Vol. 1 sometime.)

Most of the books were less than $3/each, so that worked out well.

I also found one of my baskets for a reasonable price, and a heavy oak wooden bench for my workbench; it will be useful.

The neatest thing I found, however, was a Japanese Tetsubin cast iron teapot--a new one, actually almost the twin of this one right here, although ouch on the price--and actually, it's exactly like this one, again, ouch on the price! Mine is marked on the bottom, but I can't tell about the one on ebay. (ETA: Oh, the teapot was a whopping $7.50.)

But the weather did not cooperate; it rained early on and kept misting and/or sprinkling throughout the day, despite the no chance of rain the weathermen obviously lied about. Phooey on them!

Obviously, I'm a bit tired this evening, however, and plan to go to bed early. But it was a nice day, nonetheless, even though I didn't make a lot of money. I need to bring more stuff to sell!

Comments

cyndy said…
Always interesting to hear about what is coming home with you from Burlington ;-)

Popular Posts