I discovered that some of the garlic from last year was still alive the other day when one brave (and hardy, since there's no source of water where I'd put the leftover cloves) Elephant Garlic decided to send up a shoot. So instead of wasting it, I decided to plant it to see what would happen. There were eighteen cloves showing signs of life, or, at least, not showing signs they were dead.
So I planted them tonight in an empty flat, empty because the basil got eaten by slugs. What sprouts can go into the garden; what doesn't can be tossed. Either way, I'll give them a chance to live, and me a chance to harvest more garlic.