So. I get a phone call tonight from you-know-who complaining about monetary woes. One thing leads to another, and he starts in on the "irresponsible" rant.

"You don't have a job, but you're expecting to get one by December 1st. You have a good job up here, why don't you stay up here, get some education, and then try to get a job in Cincy?"

I explain to him about the 60-days notice and how I don't really have to be out of here until December 31st at the very latest.

"So you're stuck with December's rent. How are you going to pay for that?"

"I can afford it. Barely." I laugh a little. I mean, budgeting wise, I'm okay with a little money leftover for emergencies (like a really little money.)

"You should find a place up here, stay here for six months, and then move back."

Now that doesn't make much sense to me. I try to explain that not paying rent or utilities will help me get my credit cards paid off in six months. He isn't hearing me.

"But you have to get a job first! And you don't have any options to get a job! The one interview you went to hasn't gotten back to you yet!"

"I'm still expecting to hear something this week," I say. "And I've been applying for other jobs."

"But they haven't called you for interviews! You don't have a job yet, so how can you expect to move?!?"

"Well, it's November 5th. I really wanted to have a job by the middle of the month, at the latest. But now that I don't have to move until Dec. 31st at the latest... I have time."

"My dad says the job market in Cincy is really tight. You'll be up against people with degrees. I still think you should get some education first and move back later, when you have something to show to employers."

"I'll find a job."

"You don't know that."

No, I don't know that, I think. Just like I don't know if I'll ever get a book professionally published, or if I'll be in a freak accident tomorrow. I can't foretell the future any more than you can, Chris.

"No, I don't."

"That's a stupid way to live your life. You can't keep expecting your parents to rescue you from your mistakes."

"I'm not," I say, genuinely puzzled.

"You're going to move in with them, no matter what happens, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"Even if you don't have a job?"

"I'll find a job."

And then he tells me he's moving the rest of his stuff out this weekend (I will be surprised if this happens) and that he doesn't really want to talk to me much before December 9th.

I think this would be heaven, in truth. But we shall see.

So I call Dad and ask him about the job market in Cincy. He says, "How should I know?" and I explain. He says that the job market is tight all over, and that I'll get a job. Just keep moving forward like I have been; keep applying for things and I'll find something.

Why would someone apply for jobs expecting not to get them? It's like... sending a book to a publisher expecting it to be rejected. You should not expect rejection. You should prepare for it, but not expect it. Geez. Where's a little optimism when you need some?

I mean... less than a month ago, I had no idea if I would even have a vehicle in October. Not only did I end up with a vehicle, I got much more than I bargained for. I had contigency plans (this was before I decided to move back to Bethel for sure) and everything, if I was stuck without a vehicle. But things worked out even better than I expected.

Who's to say the same thing won't happen on the job front? Who's to say I won't get a call from the job I interviewed for tomorrow, telling me I got the job? I could just as easily get a call tomorrow saying I didn't get it, but if I didn't bother to apply for it, I'd never know, would I?

This goes the same with submitting your work, btw. If you expect rejection, and therefore don't even bother to submit, how can you face yourself in the morning when you look in the mirror and tell yourself you didn't think you were good enough? Or that you're just saving postage, because they're bound to reject you anyway?

What if they don't?

Today I found two library jobs I'm going to apply for. They wouldn't be my first choices, really, but they wouldn't be bad for a little while, I don't think. (Believe it or not, the federal job would be my first choice.) And they are both jobs. The one sounds interesting, the other one might be fun. Who knows. I'm sending out resumes tomorrow.

He asked me if I had any money in the house tonight. I said probably not, but he was welcome to see if there was any change lying around. He took the quarters, which was fine and dandy. I think he's beginning to feel the pinch of not having any money to spend now that I have sole control of my bank account.

One of these days, I'd like for the most interesting thing in my day to be the fact that I got a lot written on my current WIP. Really. This is getting old, but it's for posterity, like as not.

And I just realized that I haven't checked my email since I got home from work. Oops!!

Comments

Popular Posts