We have NaNoWriMo to allow those who always wished they had time to write a novel to do so. (Or for those who already write to write some more...)

I think someone should branch out. What about all those people who secretly wish to be artists? "National Paint a Picture Month" (NaPaPiMo) or even "National Paint a Picture Week", for that matter. What about the people who envy beautiful quilts but have no time to take up a new hobby? How about learning how to knit or crochet? Writing poems? "National Learn a New Language Month"?

The idea behind NaNoWriMo is that it's never too late to fulfill your dreams. If you've always dreamed of writing a novel, it gives you the chance to do so in a supportive environment with no one around to tell you whether or not you should do it, can do it, will ever succeed, or anything else. The novel you write for NaNoWriMo might not be fit for public consumption, or it might be an instant classic.

But you won't know until you try.

Modern life seems to give conflicting opinions on dreams. We're told to "follow our dreams", but people who follow their dreams and don't make a lot of money aren't considered successful even if they are content and feel successful in their own minds. The fact that you always have to strive for the next level; that you can never be allowed to sit back and be content with what you have mystifies me. Or even that if you attempt to do something outside the norm, you are attacked by your peers.

What are you missing out on while you strive to reach that next level?

For the longest time, my "dream" has been to "be a writer". Meaning, above all else, I would rather be writing. Publication is the only means by which I can support myself on my writing income, so therefore, I must submit. "Being a writer" seems simple enough. Supporting yourself by "being a writer" is more complicated, but also an understandable step forward from the original goal. Can it be done? I intend to find out. My #1 goal for 2003 is to find out.

And I'm going to enjoy the journey as much as I can.

Comments

Popular Posts