So. It wasn't me.

Today I checked my bank account, just to make sure I had enough money to pay my Capital One account this month, since I'd forgotten to pay it over the weekend.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered a auto deduction from Capital One for $34.08, a payment I did not remember making.

I called Capital One to tell them that I didn't remember making the payment, and they told me to get a tracking number from my bank so they could check it out. Many hours later, I got the tracking number, only to find out that Capital One couldn't do anything with a tracking number, because it was an online payment.

But still, that bothered me. Because that meant that someone out there had taken my bank account number and used it to pay their Capital One card. Now obviously, once Capital One gets the return from my bank, their card will not be credited, and they'll probably get a late fee, etc.

After thinking about it a little bit, I decided to come home early from work and make damned sure I hadn't sat down over the weekend and made that payment.

I found no record of it. And normally, I either print out the confirmation of payment notice or I cut and paste it and email it to myself.

I found nothing.

So I called my bank. And I now have a new checking account. And now I will have to call everyone and transfer everything around, but at least I won't have to worry about someone taking the rest of the money I had in my account.

If the person who used my bank account number to pay their Capital One card reads this, let me tell you something. I am going to go to my bank and fill out a fraudulent activity form and file it with Capital One. And they will find you. And I hope they take away your credit card and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law, because I will press charges.

I AM NOT AMUSED.

Comments

Popular Posts