Today is, of course, Buy Nothing Day.

I've never been one for the Black Friday 5am early bird specials. Back Before, I didn't have any money, and I don't like crowds anyway, so I tend to stay far, far away. If anything, I'd go to Goodwill if the Holiday Bucks coupons were any good this year. (They aren't. You're not even getting 50% off this year. Urgh.)

However, I have relatives who have been known to camp out in store parking lots so they can be the first person in the store at 5am. I think they're nuts, even though they do come away with bargains. (Or, bargains to them, at least.)

And anyway, I work the day after Thanksgiving as a rule (no one in the office!) so my shopping is pretty limited.

Yesterday, however, a local store had some Thanksgiving Day-only sales, including a four-slice toaster for $9.99. Since my old toaster bit the dust as soon as it was pulled out of Storage to replace Mom and Dad's toaster (which works when it wants to, but is still operational), I knew I would need one eventually.

Well, eventually is almost nigh. So yesterday morning, in between the getting ready for Thanksgiving bustle, Bekah and I drove down the road to get a toaster, among other things.

When we got to the store, though, we discovered that the toasters had not come in and that they were issuing rainchecks. That was fine with me, because I don't need a toaster right now, so I picked up a couple of other things and went up to the checkout. The lady at the checkout said she thought they were substituting another toaster, so since I don't really care what brand of toaster (they all toast bread!) I own, I said that was fine.

Well, it turns out the substituted toaster was the one they were advertising for today's sale at being on sale for $24.99. It retails for $30! And I got it for $9.99. Ha. (I would never ever pay $30 for a toaster.)

So I have a toaster and a blender now (I bought the blender that was on sale, just in case I don't have one, because I can't remember.)

But today? I'm not a rabid Buy Nothing Day person, but I doubt I'll buy much more than some chocolate chip cookies from a local deli. Does food count?

Comments

Popular Posts