Ok, we ended up seeing the 3:45pm showing, and I thought it was a good movie. I would go see the second one. I kind of want to read the book now. (Jess has a copy, so she is going to loan it to me once she's done.) And then, we went out to eat at Cracker Barrel and ended up with eight people, because Bekah, Matt, Em, Elsa, Dad, Ethan, Jess, and I all met there. Mom had to stay up at church, unfortunately!

But I am home now, and have been for a little while.

And I should probably say what I brought home last night from an auction that was on Thursday evening.

See, Thursday around lunchtime, Dad called me to tell me that there was a spinning wheel at the Batavia auction on Thursday night. I checked out the photograph, which showed a saxony style wheel that looked intact, and then went to see it after work. I couldn't stay for the auction because I had to get back to let Mabel out, but Mom and Dad ended up going to the auction anyway, and I told them not to bid past $50, because I wasn't quite sure about the mother-of-all, flyer, and bobbin; the rest of it looked great, but I wasn't sure about those pieces.

Well, I ended up winning it for $25. And once I got it home and really looked at it (versus attempting to do so in a warehouse with not-so-great lighting and lots of people around), I realized that everything did go together, and looked to be functional. So I tied on a drive band (the wrong way) and tried to get it to work for an hour or so Friday evening. Then I posted a help post on the antique spinning wheel forum on Ravelry, and they were nice enough to show me how to tie on the drive band right--which probably explains why I couldn't get the wheels I had last year to spin, either. Oh well. Now I know.

So anyway, in twenty minutes this morning, I had her running!

Dad thinks she's from the 1920s, and perhaps mahogany. A red wood definitely, unusual grain, but not cherry as far as I can tell. I will work on her a bit more tomorrow, because there are a couple of things that need minor fixes, but it looks like she'll be a keeper.


Oh, and I turned the heat back on. When I got home tonight, it was 56 at the thermostat. A bit too cold for me, thank you. Of course, being rainy and overcast all day doesn't help.

And as for the craft show--it wasn't really busy at all. I made $20, but then again, I finished spinning the spindle full of the "Jungle Nights" BFL and started to chain ply it, and I wound four skeins of yarn into balls. So it wasn't a bad day, really. Although it was funny how many questions I got because of the spindle. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts