All week long, except for Tuesday evening, when a storm blew in, dumped two inches of rain and cooled the air down enough for me to use the fan in the upstairs hallway, I've had the air on overnight and I've slept downstairs.

(The air gets turned off while I'm at work.)

Yesterday afternoon when I got home, it was 87 degrees in the kitchen with 72% humidity and 92 degrees outside with 79% humidity. Upstairs, it was 89 degrees with 72% humidity. At the thermostat in the Green Room, it was 85 degrees.

The key to staying comfortable really isn't the heat, it's the humidity. So I'm happy to say the humidity in here is now down to 68%, which is pretty good for one ancient air conditioner. It's still 79 degrees in the kitchen, but the rest of the house (downstairs, at least) is in the mid-to-upper 70s. I can live with that quite nicely. My electric bill is not going to be pleasant, but it won't be too bad.

The only problem with sleeping downstairs (other than the cats being loud) is that it gets really light in the living room really early. And by really early, I mean 6am it's too light to sleep. Which really isn't a terrible thing, since I went to bed early last night. I must have some shade from the maple tree out back or something in my bedroom, because it doesn't seem that it gets that light that early upstairs.

So I got up early today, finished the book I was reading, and had started another one (while drinking my second cup of hot tea) when there was a bit of a commotion in the Green Room. Growling, and scuffling, and carrying on.

Loki had caught a mouse. Now, this is surprising, because Loki's my scaredy-cat, and also because the only mice stupid enough to actually come into my house have to be suicidal. It was a deer mouse, not very big, but kind of fat. (Definitely not as big as the one who lived in my bedroom at my parents' house. He was huge.) He did not kill it, so I put it outside, where the outside cats probably took care of it, since they watched me quite closely when I set it down.

That was the first mouse I've ever seen inside the house, but not the first evidence; we saw evidence of a mouse in the bathroom closet a few years ago. Since my house is old, there are obviously plenty of places for them to get inside. Hopefully I won't see any others.

So anyway, today is for cleaning, specifically in the kitchen. My goal for today is to wash the rest of the dishes (seriously), rearrange the tables hopefully for the last time, move the big table into the Green Room where it will go against the wall, clean off my baking table, set up my toaster oven (yes, I realize I've had it since Christmas and it's still in the box) because that was the whole point of getting one, for summer heatwaves, and at the very least, sweep the floor. We'll see how far I get.

Tomorrow morning, I'm planning to head out into the garden for a bit before working inside some more. I really need to get the tomatoes staked and tied up.

Mowing the lawn, however, will not happen until August, at least that's what it looks like with this weather pattern we're currently in.

Comments

Popular Posts