GOALS



So I'm sitting here at work thinking about goals. Goals are good things. When my writing is involved, my goals are usually met. When my life is involved, my goals are rarely met.

In the quest to even out that a little bit, and the fact that I'm going to go on writing-vacation (still have to work the dayjob, alas) from Dec. 15th until Dec. 31st, I have decided to attempt to complete the following goals in the place of writing:

1. Get rid of The Pile in the basement by posting as many auctions on ebay that I can post in the time I usually write. (My ultimate goal is to be financially stable enough to have to post only what I make on ebay, instead of having to weed my shelves every two months or so.)

2. Clean the basement. Decide on FIVE (yes! Only five) craft hobbies to do from now on, and get rid of everything else "I'd like to do but I don't have enough time to do it in." So far, Dollmaking, Polymer Clay, and Crocheting are on the list, because these actually make me some money. I've dropped Stamping already; I'm getting ready to sell the last remnants of my stamp supplies. I'm not sure if Photography will go in there or not; I want it to stay, but I haven't done much with it yet. Like, do I really need 200 calligraphy nibs if I never use them?!? Incidently, this ties in with #1 and posting things on ebay, too.

3. If I can get it at the library or, better, online, I don't need it on my shelves. This holds true for a bunch of reference books I hardly ever open, some paperbacks that are available as free ebooks, and other books I have for posterity and not for heavy use. My internet connection isn't going anywhere. My shelf space is. I will also decide which authors to keep and which to sell, based on re-readability. In addition to books, go through all my CDs and decide which ones to keep. Some of them I haven't listened to in years. My tastes have changed a bit since I originally bought them, so there's no real reason to keep them.

4. Clean the house. One room at a time.

5. Have all bills paid/caught up by Jan. 15th. (I'm saying the 15th, because I'm posting auctions until the 1st, so I'm giving myself a 2-week leeway for money arrival.

6. If I have time, begin renaming and rearranging photos on disks. I'd like to transfer all 300 or so disks to a couple of CDs. This is not high on my list of priorities, though. This will only be done if I get everything else done. Along with this thought, my printed out stories and former WIPs need to be organized as well. But that's also at the bottom of my list.

7. Get at least 1-3, 5 done by December 31st. Since I won't be writing, this might just be possible to do, and would make the start of the New Year just so sweet.

8. Decide what to work on next, but that shouldn't take too long to do.

I think what I'm going to do is make a LIST of everything I'd like to get done, even the tiny things. That way, while I'm on my writing vacation, I'll have a sort of outline to work from. In some instances, outlines are good.

Wish me luck! Anyone want to join me? I sense another Organizational Dare on the horizon...

More later...

Comments

Popular Posts