So I go to the produce store to get normal vegetables for the party tomorrow and see these weird looking things right beside the baby avocados. (Yes. Baby avocados.) I looked at them for a moment, trying to figure out what they were without looking up at the sign, but I couldn't, so I looked.

They have fiddlehead ferns at the produce store. *blink*

Now... to me, fiddlehead ferns are gourmet. Like, how many people in Clermont County are going to buy fiddlehead ferns for supper? I mean, even yuppies don't go, "Oh, honey, look, fiddlehead ferns. Why don't we get some for the wine tasting tomorrow night?" (Or whatever yuppies do on Saturday nights. You know what I mean.)

Did I mention that this is a discount produce store?

(They have pinhead oatmeal, too. I can make my own goetta!)

But fiddlehead ferns?! My mind boggles.

After I saw the fiddlehead ferns, I saw other strange stuff. Like mushrooms. Oh, not the mushrooms that you get in the little styrofoam box at the grocery store. Nope. These were morels. And haystacks (I think; I don't remember the actual name, just the morels.) Hummus. Couscous. My sister would be in heaven.

Watercress. Eeep. Have I mentioned how much I like watercress? They had great big bunches of herbs, too. Fresh. Lemon thyme. Basil. Tarragon. Rosemary.

I didn't buy any, if you're wondering. I have most of those growing myself. But fiddlehead ferns... how exactly do you cook fiddlehead ferns? Or do you cook them?

Poor ferns. Never got a chance to grow. Destined for someone's skillet, I imagine, instead of life under a tree...

Comments

Unknown said…
Mom boils them and puts them in soup, I believe. We used to go to the field near the local elementary school (which has since been bulldozed to make way for a new elementary school; the old one is now a Boys & Girls Club) and pick them. Then we spread them to dry on the back deck. I vaguely remember them tasting like...well, weeds, only a little darker and smoother, and with a tough, slightly stringy texture.

However, it's been ten or fifteen years since I last had any, so my memory may be very faulty.

Popular Posts