I did manage to sweep the stairs, entry room, kitchen, and my room and my hallway today. That took care of a lot of the cat hair bunnies breeding in every corner. I didn't get much done in the dining room, though.

I did, however, discover that there's at least six layers of wallpaper in the dining room. At least. Maybe eight. It's hard to tell, but the layers are at least an eighth of an inch thick. The first wallpaper is quite pretty, with pink flowers on a pale cream background. Most of the others resemble what is up there now, which is what I tend to call upholstery wallpaper. It's cream on beige with a raised decoration, basically. There's more of it (in a different pattern) in the hallway.

As far as I can tell, either the living room and the Green Room have no wallpaper or there's only one layer. There are a couple of cracks in the walls, and they look like plaster, not paper. But I'm no expert. There's hideous wallpaper behind the radiator in the Green Room, so it might be possible. (One of these days I will take pictures of the wallpaper in my house. If all the different types of wallpaper were showing at the same time, it would be scary.)

I am planning to have no wallpaper eventually. Although I don't really mind the wallpaper in my bedroom and I do rather like the stripes around the top of the walls, I'd rather not have it at all, honestly. But all the wallpaper will take quite a bit of work to remove. Years, I'd say.

I do wonder, though, if there's a way to unstick wallpaper from itself. Like, could I possibly see all the different patterns of wallpaper that have been in my dining room over the years? I will have to investigate, I guess.

Oh, and there also seems to be wallpaper on the ceiling of the hallway (which is the underneath of the stairs, whatever that is called.) It's painted over, but the raised decorations are showing through. It also doesn't match anything that is present, so I'm curious why they wallpapered that part of the hallway. Hmm. (Actually, I'm curious about a lot of things, including the buried door decoration thingys (don't know the technical term) and if anyone really used the secret hidey hole I found for a secret hidey hole.)

But anyway. I did open the transom above the front door this afternoon while I was inspecting the wallpaper in the hallway. It took a little bit to open, but it opened, and it looks dusty but fine otherwise.

It even has a screen, so it could be open and letting air in or out when the weather is warmer. Interesting.

Comments

Popular Posts