Organizing the Office

Making everything fit together in my office has been a bit of a problem for me for the past month. I haven't had a good idea of how I want things to be or where I want things to go. The only idea I had was that I wanted all my supplies unpacked, not a single plastic container to be seen, and have a specific area for crafts, writing, and sewing.

Since my office only has one closet, fitting everything in was beginning to be a problem. I solved part of that problem by using the oak veneer chest of drawers I bought at Goodwill a while back for some of my fabric (but not all of it, alas) and sorting the rest of the fabric in the closet. I have room for my beading supplies in the closet, but little else. (I shouldn't have to mention that I want to keep the stuff Ethan doesn't need to get into out of reach as well.)

So I was half-thinking that I would have to find another desk or something to put smaller supplies in. My desk (the blue one in the picture below) doesn't have 'normal' desk drawers, so it's difficult to keep office supplies, etc., in my desk. The drawers are fine for craft supplies, but not paper or labels or anything you'd normally keep in a desk drawer.

Last night, I went down the road with Mom and Dad to drop Ethan off and go to Goodwill. I'd already been earlier in the day on my lunch break, and I found a couple of nice things. But last night, I found the Desk.



It's an oak desk, very heavy, very sturdy, with seven drawers and two slide-y things on both ends. Its drawers hold office supplies just fine, although it will be my craft desk. It weighs a ton. I think my arms will really hurt tomorrow.

This is the pile I have to clear up before I can set up my sewing area:


As you can see, I have quite a bit of stuff to go through.

And the smaller white bookcase that houses more of my yarn stash fit on top of my 'office' desk quite nicely:



And this is the oak chest of drawers where not quite half of my fabric now resides:





The taller bookcase obviously ended up on top of the chest of drawers. That splits up my stash, but that's okay.

Once I get the pile taken care of, the treadle sewing machine (it's at the end of the pile in the picture, sideways) will go against the wall. That gives me a nice area to sew, and puts my sewing machine closer to the only plug in the entire room. The floor will be relatively open, which will help when I need to lay out patterns to cut. (Like for cloaks! Yay!)

I think I have it right in my head now, except for the fabric in the closet. I'm not all that fond of leaving it there, but I really don't have anywhere else to put it. But if that's my only concession, that's fine.

My original goal was to have all my craft supplies and office stuff in the same room. To not have any plastic containers. To give everything a space, and not have to go to 'storage' somewhere to get something if I needed it.

So far so good, I think.

Comments

Popular Posts