I'm really liking Firefox. In fact, I like it enough to have saved all my Netscape bookmarks and uninstall Netscape. It's faster, and it has tabs. That's really all I care about!

(Internet explorer doesn't seem to be affected by whatever this was. And Bekah needs that for school work, so it will stay. But that's it. I'm using Firefox for everything else!)

Bridge to Teribithia wasn't bad. It's not going on my favorite movie list either. My Dad said he was surprised it was a Disney movie with the death of one of the main characters. I said that's how it happened in the book, and he said he was surprised they didn't change that part. I liked the girl who played Leslie better than the boy who played Jess. He seemed a bit too stiff to me. I also thought that the actual Teribithia parts were pretty short; I mean, it would have been cool to see all the neat creatures show up earlier, other than the vultures and the squirrels and the troll.

When I was growing up, we had an 'Indian Village' in the woods behind our house, and various other places we played, like Plumyville (by a plum tree, of course), and Roseville (in the middle of a stand of wild rose bushes), where the fairies lived. We made up stories and played them out; we fought battles and yes, someone tried to swing over a creek on a grapevine that broke, but it wasn't a very deep creek and they didn't die, of course. But we spent a lot of time in the woods, and used our imaginations, and I had a great childhood that didn't involve TV, video games, or anything like that. Unfortunately, I bet most kids these days wouldn't be able to do such a thing. Not because the option isn't there, but because they aren't taught to use their imaginations in ways that will allow them to create and live in worlds that exist just beyond what is 'real.'

I don't remember the first time I read Bridge to Teribithia. I'm pretty sure I probably picked it up on my own, but maybe not. I know we read it in class once, but I had already read it by then, and it didn't have any lasting impression on my worlds or my imagination, other than to validate the fact that if someone was writing about it, then other kids did the same thing I did, so it couldn't be too strange to carry a crowbar around as a sword (it was really heavy, too) or have a house without walls, or believe that the natural arches that occur in the woods are portals to another world, and if you step through one at the right time of day, you would be instantly transported somewhere else. Or that fairies lived in the pile of concrete debris beside the oak tree at the bottom of the hill. (Of course, I saw one of the fairies, so I was pretty sure of myself when I claimed that one.)

But then, I think I had an unusual childhood in that respect.

Comments

Popular Posts