Mom, Dad and I went to Goodwill today, and I brought the cats home a scratching post. Maybe buying one will inspire me to actually make the one I'm still planning to make. We'll see. At the moment, it's a NEW THING, meaning it is steeped in suspicion and probably smells really weird to them. Hopefully they will like it.

In the "Wouldn't it be cheaper to make my own?" department, I absolutely love Amy's Organics Bean and Cheese burritos. I would eat them every day if I could. They are quite yummy. The only thing not yummy about them is the price--they were $1.99 each and now they're $2.19 each. Considering I eat two for lunch, that's over $4 a lunch that I could make myself quite simply. So I bought some tortillas (but I'm thinking of making them from scratch too) and some refried beans (ditto on the making from scratch) and some cheddar cheese, and voila! Bean and Cheese Burritos for about 60 cents a piece. Not bad! In fact, I've been eating them like crazy. They're a filling lunch, and quite tasty, too.

(I used up the original package of tortillas, because I made scrambled eggs and fried potatoes for breakfast one morning and I put what was leftover in burritos with a little cheddar cheese. That was good too!)

Yes, I like rather bland food sometimes. I realize they have no 'kick', but that's ok. I used to get plain bean and cheese burritos at Taco Bell (well, rarely) without the sauce that made them hot.

So today I crisped some smaller tortillas in the oven, and mixed a small portion of refried beans, sour cream, and cheddar cheese and used the crispy tortillas as chips. Yum. I also have enough burritos left (already made, that is) to eat two days this week for lunch. Yay!

There's no HFCS in refried beans, tortillas, or cheddar cheese, thank goodness.

I did find one item that is really going to hurt: Miracle Whip. Does anyone know of substitutes? I hate mayo. I don't really like mustard. Or maybe, like everything else, I really just need to make my own. (I think I have a recipe somewhere, too. I just have to find it again.)

Comments

Popular Posts