Well, 'they' said it would snow--between 4-8 inches total. At my house, I'm measuring between 6-6 1/2 inches, and it's still coming down, albeit slowly. My sister left her workplace at 2:30 and it took her an hour and a half to get home; I left my workplace (the same equivalent in miles) at 3:30 and it took me two and a half hours to get home.

Now this might not sound that bad to those of you who live in Colorado, say, (Grey), but it's a Big Deal around here. The one unfortunate thing about working for the State is that you don't get snow days, or, rather, they don't close the office early. So someone had to stay behind. I hope my coworker made it home safe, although she might not be home even yet.

But around here, when we get this much snow, they start calling it "White Death", and the grocery stores sell out of everything anyone would likely need for six months of a snowbound existence trapped in their houses. That means, all the stores run out of milk, bread, and toilet paper. Among other things.

The snowboots I wore today are six and a half inches tall. My other pair is taller, and I'm going to have to break them out to shovel snow tomorrow.

The roads were terrible. At one point, I couldn't tell where the side of the road began and the snow stopped. Going up the Georgetown Hill, I saw hazard lights ahead, and found that a semi had stopped, unable to get up the hill. I had to go around him. That was, um, fun.

Even more amusing (haha) was my windshield wipers freezing up four times so I had to stop on the side of the road (I hoped) to knock the accumulated ice off of them. Luckily, I know 125 pretty well, because I was driving on instinct for a bit there. And don't even ask me about the snowplow who appeared behind me and made me pull over. Sheesh!

But I made it home, barely, thanks to some heartfelt prayers and lots of crossed toes (my fingers were glued to the wheel.)

Whew!

Unless a miracle happens and they clear my road and the hill, I'm going to call in tomorrow, because I'm not risking life and limb again so soon. I got all my work done at work today anyway, so I'd much rather stay warm and dry here. But we'll see. A miracle could happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comments

Popular Posts