I had a dream about my prom dress last night. Perhaps I should say it was a nightmare, considering the dress. Back when I was in high school, I didn’t exactly have a sense of fashion. I still don’t, really; my sense of fashion is comfortable and no-iron, even when I dress up.

Throughout my high school career, until that unmemorable prom, I attended only one dance. In truth, I had no desire to go to dances, and I still don’t. I never had a problem finding something better to do with my time.

But my friends, in their infinite wisdom, persuaded me to go to my Senior Prom. After all, they argued, it was my Senior Prom.

After much grumbling, I agreed to go.

That was when my smattering of fashion sense completely deserted me. Instead of picking out a nice black dress, I chose a pale pink monstrosity that I hated as soon as I got it home. But the deed was done and the price had already been paid. Even though I found a very cute black dress two weeks later while shopping with one of my friends, my parents had already paid for the pink dress and I didn’t think they’d be very happy if I decided to return it.

(Okay, this might be rose-colored glasses talking here, but I remember this little black dress as being above my knee (I don’t wear anything but ankle length skirts) and being very simply made and a bit flouncy. And cheaper, too. Ah well.)

So I wore the pink dress. It had this ruffle thingy around the top, and rhinestones(!!) even. Ugh. Hideous.

But I wore it anyway, and I guess the only good part is that no one made fun of me. I don’t remember how we got to the prom (probably someone’s car) or when we got home, but I do remember the dance floor falling apart under the dancers’ feet, because it was a cheaply put together portable dance floor that really stunk. I do remember a really cool mirror at the bottom of a curved set of stairs, but that’s about it, and none of my pictures turned out.

That next year, I went to prom again with my boyfriend Eric. I wore the same dress, but dyed it a darker pink and took off the damned ruffle. It looked only marginally better. I think I finally either sold it on ebay or it was in one of the bags that went to the VoA in December.

I still miss that little black dress.

Comments

Popular Posts