Oh boy. Today I found out that Alphasmart has upgraded the Dana, and lowered the price. There's free shipping until August 31, too.

Tempting. Very tempting. The more I think about it, the more I want to buy one now. But $379 is a lot of money, even though I could afford it just fine. Hmm.

Thursday night at the writers group meeting, my arm hurt so bad that I couldn't move it at times without shooting pain. I already knew what the culprit was--my backpack, which isn't ergonomic by a long shot--but the thrifty person who lives inside of me didn't like the thought of buying a new bag just yet.

But then I thought about what I've bought to make my hands and wrists feel better--a trackball mouse--and although that was only $20, I could feel the difference within an hour.

So yesterday I ordered a Healthy Back Bag from my favorite outlet site, Sierra Trading Post, because I'm getting sick of this arm trouble. (It's not my shoulder; it's my upper arm. I don't understand why it's not my shoulder.)

So once it comes I'll have an ergonomic bag as well as an ergonomic mouse. Whee.

What does this have to do with buying a Dana? Well, the bag was (yikes!) $60. I bought it with some of the leftover money from my free paycheck. So I already feel like I've spent too much money, even though it was okay to spend it.

I guess it's just been so long since I've had any money to spend that when I do spend it, I feel like I shouldn't. But I'm on track with paying off the credit cards, I have money in my savings account, and I'm more financially stable at the moment than I've been for the past three years.

I'm going to buy a new computer after the credit cards are paid off, and pay cash. I'll have that money even if I buy a Dana now. That's not the problem.

Hmm. I don't know. It almost comes down to two questions: Do I need a Dana right now? or is it just that I want a Dana right now?

Need vs. Want

Need: More memory. If I'm going to be reading more ebooks, I'm going to need more memory. My Visor, at the moment, has 2mb free.

Want: More memory. More memory = more works-in-progress able to be on the device.

Need: Something a bit more stable than the Visor/Keyboard combo. Since the Dana's all one piece, it will be much more stable for balancing on my lap.

Want: Something small enough to fit in my new bag, because I'll be damned if I'm going to get another bag for the Dana. (I think it will fit. I do have something roughly equivalent in size so I can check. Which I will.)

Need: To transfer my work calendar to my device, whatever it may be. And use it instead of my paper calendar. At the moment, I'm working from two calendars.

Want: Less junk in my new bag. :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I could go on like this for days, but I'm not going to. I will think on it and make a decision by the 31st. Because thrifty me sure doesn't want to let that free shipping go if I am going to buy one.

(You can tell I'm a Libra, can't you?)

Comments

Popular Posts