Um. Still not at 30k. But I'm knitting!

I told myself that if I couldn't figure it out after readingKids Knitting, then I wasn't meant to knit. And honestly, it took me about 25 minutes to figure out Step 3, which NONE of the knitting books I have purchased recently show at all.

See, you make a slip knot, and slide it on the right hand needle. And then you make stitches and cast them on the needle, which I had already figured out. But Step 3, how to actually make a stitch and what you do with the stitches, was not illustrated in any of the knitting books I have. They have Steps 1 and 2, and then, as if by magic, their illustrations show a piece of knitting about three inches long. I had no idea how to get from Step 2 to their illustrations. And reading the text did not help.

Well, if you've always wanted to knit but couldn't figure it out, this is a VERY good book! I can't recommend it enough. I have the basic knit stitch down now; it's not very hard once you figure out what you're supposed to do. And I'm planning to go through the whole book and make most of the projects, just to get into the swing of things and figure out other stitches. (I have yet to purl, for example.)

And I'm having fun. At the moment, I'm working on what I think will be a scarf. But after crocheted (I can whip out a scarf in about an hour) knitting is like learning Dvorak for the first time. I know I'll get faster, but at the moment, it's going very slowly. Beginner's speed, I guess. :)

Ah well.

Comments

Popular Posts