Florida Citrus Growers are feeling the squeeze. Considering how many restaurants around town are toting "low-carb" menu items nowadays, this doesn't really surprise me, but it disturbs me a bit. Now, before I begin, I should say that I've never been on a real diet in my life, and I really haven't read up on the South Beach Diet or the Atkins diet or similar fad diets that seem to be sweeping the nation. All I know about them is what I've read or heard.

I need to lose weight. Don't we all. But I'm not really all that worried about it, because I already know what I need to do to lose it: become more active.

I don't need to watch what I eat, because honestly, I don't eat badly. Sure, sometimes, I eat too much, and sometimes I'd rather have pizza than a salad, but I don't overindulged very often and I try to get my recommended servings of fruit and/or vegetables every day. (For some reason, this usually is fruit, probably due to the portability factor.)

I don't eschew bread. I love it. I don't limit my pasta intake. I don't watch my carbs, but I do try to eat foods lower in fat.

My one major problem is lack of commitment to exercise. I know I should do it; I know why I should do it, but I end up not doing it nonetheless. I'm working on my goal list still--and exercise is on there. And I still believe I'll get there eventually. :)

I think society as a whole is far too concerned about their looks. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be stronger or more flexible, which is my real reason for wanting to exercise. I'd rather be more flexible than slimmer, in all honesty.

I no longer color my hair. I wasn't happy with it when I did; it took far too long to grow out, and I kind of like my silver stripes anyway. :) And $7-$8 every 2 weeks is really not feasible in my mind for something so cosmetic.

I don't wear makeup. I've never liked the feel of makeup on my skin, and it seemed like a pain to have to reapply lipstick, etc. during the day. I might wear lipstick for a special occasion, but that's just about it.

My favorite outfit consists of jeans and a t-shirt (or a sweatshirt during the winter.) That's what I'm wearing most of the time when I'm at home. Sometimes, I wear jeans and a t-shirt to work.

I do perm my hair. But that's my choice, not anyone else's. I like my hair curly. And now that we have the style down pat, I will perm my hair until they create some sort of DNA change that will give me permanently curly hair.

I don't like artifice. I do like to dress up, but only on my own terms. And I do wonder if there's another reason why so many people feel they have to weigh 115 lbs. sopping wet... maybe some sort of insecurity complex? Who knows. In truth, my "perfect" weight (in my mind) would be about 140 lbs. I'd be happy with that. And all I have to do is become more active to achieve that goal. I did it once; I can do it again. (With or without the salads.)

But I will raise my glass of orange juice (to get back on track here...) and salute everyone else in this world who try to let most of popular culture fall by the wayside as they concentrate on things that are more important... like yourselves, your family, and your sanity.

Be warm.

Comments

Popular Posts