I'm a bit behind, so bear with me...

This was supposed to be Wednesday afternoon's post:

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Although my Irish blood is probably just a tiny bit of the whole, there are Irish St. Clairs. But I’m predominantly German (both sides)/Scottish (Dad’s side)/Italian (Mom’s side), in just about that order. Still, I’m wearing green today.

Got to 46,032 on NS last night. Ella’s father showed up. This is not a good thing. Poor Ella. I’m not getting the feel that I’m halfway done with this, either. And that’s worrying me, but only a little bit. After all, I still have 45k or so left to write, to reach my targeted goal. And that’s plenty of words left to play with. J

There’s an auction tonight in Owensville! The first auction of the season. I am so ready for yard sales/auctions/and Burlington. I will be keeping in mind what I need to furnish my house when the time comes, of course. It’s not likely that my tastes will change much until then. And any bargains I can’t pass up that I don’t want to keep will go to some lucky bidder on ebay, but of course. I think I can handle that.

It’s actually a three day auction, and I might take some time off work tomorrow if the books look decent enough to stay for, since tomorrow’s auction starts at 10am. Why do they do these things? Sheesh. But I should find out tonight if I’ll be going back tomorrow. I love personal time.

In other news… Em came home this weekend to spend some time with Ethan and the rest of the family. I wasn’t around much, but we did manage to get to Goodwill, since she was looking for a sewing machine. We stopped at the sewing machine shop in Amelia, but they didn’t have anything in her price range. So we drove to Williamsburg (I’ve never seen a portable sewing machine at the Goodwill in Beechmont) and hit paydirt.

For $30, she got a Goodyear sewing machine, probably from the late 40s, early 50s. This sucker has chrome. It reminds me of those old cars. I’m sure you know which ones I mean. Are they Buicks? Chevrolets? But anyway, this sewing machine came with all sorts of attachments and gadgets, and it seems to work just fine. (It weighs a ton, of course, but hey. They were built to last back then!)

I tried to look up the brand name on the internet, but came up with just about nothing. And even a search on ebay had no luck. So she got an obscure machine, even. What fun.


This was this morning's post:

Well, the auction was fun. I went with my future house in mind, and I pretty much hit paydirt.

The lady whose stuff they were auctioning off had been a Master Chef, according to the auctioneer. So she had tons of cookware and cookbooks, etc., plus a whole warehouse full of other stuff, some antique.

Here’s what I got:

Calphalon & Circulon cookware (three each, plus three of another commercial brand) $75

A kitchen table with a secret flip-out leaf $50

Three boxes of cookbooks $25 (about 16-18 cookbooks in all, half signed by the authors)

Three boxes of kitchen implements, like aluminum baking ware, a Wilton cookie sheet, etc. $25

A low crock bowl $15

A large roaster to match my small roaster $15

Yes, I spent a lot of money, but it’s all stuff I would have to buy anyway. I'll be going back this morning/afternoon for the second part of the auction, and I have my eye on some beaded/sequined vintage dresses, so we'll see.

And now I'll bring it up to date:

Well, I went. It started at 10am, and I had asked for five hours of leave time, thinking that was long enough for the second part of a 3-day auction to conclude. It was close, but I did get back to work on time.

I missed out on some mexican silver jewelry (while $65 for three necklaces is a steal, I was only really interested in one necklace, and there were three.) However, I did manage to get the two dresses I had my eye on. Yay! I will post pics, because these dresses are fabulous.

I also picked up a few more cookbooks for cheap, and an old National Geographic oversized atlas. And a couple of other things as well. But I was very happy about the dresses.

Needless to say, I didn't get any writing done last night, and I was auctioning through lunch. So I'm overdue. Hopefully I'll get something written tonight.

Whew!

Oh, did I mention the last day of the auction is Saturday? I have my eye on two corner cupboards, but Storage is quite full, and they'll probably go out of my price range anyway. *sigh*

Comments

Popular Posts