I found a recipe for Vegetarian Slow Cooker Rice Pudding, which called for an entire cup of sugar. I halved it, and it was still too sweet. So next time (and there will be a next time) I will make it with a quarter cup of sugar, or at the very least, something else for sweetener.

Otherwise, very, very yummy. And I'm glad to finally find a recipe without eggs. Not that I don't like eggs; I just didn't care for the stovetop recipe I've made before.

Here's the recipe, adapted:

1 c. rice
1/4 c. sugar (or to taste--I might put in even less)
4 c. milk (the original recipe said vanilla soy milk; I used regular, but I wonder if you could use rice milk? Or would that be too much?)
1 tsp. vanilla

The recipe called for 1 tsp. cinnamon, but I put that on top, so I didn't add it.

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker--this fit in my 2qt. bowl--and cook 2 to 4 hours on low. I cooked it on low for about an hour and a half, and then turned it up to high for about 2 more hours, because I was impatient. I did have to crack the lid a bit there at the end to let some of the liquid evaporate, since I wasn't using my slow cooker's original lid (one of the drawbacks of having the 3-in-1 is the fact that I tend to keep soups and stuff in the fridge for a couple of days before transferring it into a container, and that means I can't use the lid. Luckily, I had a lid that fit from one of my old skillets.)

You do have to stir it periodically. The recipe said once an hour, but I just stirred it when I thought about it. I'm not sure you could just leave this one for four hours, but maybe I'll try it once and see.

You can pretty much tell when it's done. Even though it was too sweet, it was good, and I'll definitely make it again!

Comments

Popular Posts