When last I wrote about how I wanted to rearrange the house after Bekah and Ethan move out, I said I thought it felt right in my mind. And then I measured the china cabinet, which is too long to fit on any wall in the current living room. And while I might get rid of the little china cabinet if I really don't need it after I purge some dishes, I'm not getting rid of the big one because I like it, and it's the last piece of my Grandmother's living room set that I own, anyway.

So. With that thought in mind, and since those two bookcases really wouldn't be much room at all, I decided to do this:

--The current formal dining room will stay a formal dining room/music room. In the wintertime, the plants will move upstairs to what is now Ethan's room (which faces south/west, so it's sunny a lot, and doesn't have the added overhang of the porch anyway, and thus is brighter! At the moment, my three big plants are doing fine in the west window in the Green Room, so I know they'll be okay upstairs too. Or the big ones can remain downstairs in the wintertime, and all the little ones can go upstairs. I'm flexible.

The harps will be in the bay window area, and that's a perfect practice place, too. That's where I first envisioned a harp anyway.

--The current living room will become my office. It will also have a comfy chair or two, and maybe even a loveseat. The only thing I'll have to add to this room is a phone line for internet access, which Dad says is not a difficult thing to do. My desk will sit against the west wall where the plug is. The cedar chest, oak library desk/table in front of the picture window, and rocking chair can stay. I'll probably get rid of the papasan couch. The kitty trees can go in here, too, if needed. There still should be plenty of room in the Green Room for them as well. We'll see.

--The current toyroom/Green Room will become the library/living room. The 6-foot long wall--the longest wall (I think) in the house, except for maybe the wall in the dining room, will become one big floor-to-ceiling set of bookcases. The rolltop desk bottom can go where I thought it would go, between the hallway door and the pocket doors. My papasan chair will probably go over by the bathroom door in the corner against the wall. I will put two chairs over by the bookcase, and probably a coffee table. Maybe a loveseat here instead of in the office. Who knows? Right now, I see the bookcases, the blue rug that's in the living room in front of the bookcases, and two chairs on either side with a table in between.

I'm not sure about the TV, but that's ok. It's not like that's an important piece of furniture, anyway.

--The Entry Room's function didn't change from before; it's still going to be the thoroughfare without much furniture. My bikes will still go there. I'm debating whether or not to keep both bikes. We'll see. I'm leaning towards yes, because one has hand brakes and one has pedal brakes. And I'm not sure which kind I like better. But I'm also giving myself an ultimatum to actually ride the bikes!

--The current Office/Studio will become my craft room/studio. I will put my sewing table where my computer desk is now, which puts it closer to the plug. OR If the oak countertop I bought at the auction last year will fit here; if it does, that would be a great place for my sewing machine/s, and then I could just use the table for cutting out patterns, etc. Not much else will change in this room.

--Bekah's room will become the spare bedroom. I will store my storystuff in the top of the big closet in that room. I can also put plants in the south-facing window here as well.

--Ethan's room will become the plant room. I'm not planning to do much of anything else there; maybe I will keep project furniture (like my rope bed if I'm not done with it yet) in this room just to keep it all in one place until I can get to it. Or, I could keep my ebay stuff in this room too; we'll see. My options are open. But it will definitely house most of the plants that come in for the winter. This room will be off-limits to my darlings, of course.

And so far, that's the way things are shaping up. Of course, everything is subject to change, since it seems I change my mind a lot about this anyway. But it does help to write it down. :)

Comments

Popular Posts