I bought a baguette pan at Goodwill yesterday (for larger baguettes; I already have the small one) so I had to try it out today. It worked great, but obviously this picture isn't of a baguette.

Nope, this is a Honey Whole Wheat Scone -aka- Heaven on a Plate.

(I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.)

Basically, I have a cast iron scone/cornbread pan like this and I've been wanting to try it out. So I greased it really good (it's not quite seasoned enough to not grease it yet), mixed up my batter/dough, and spooned it in. I filled up the sections almost all the way, not knowing how far it would rise. It didn't go over the sides or anything, so this was a good idea.

But I had leftover dough, so I got out my cast iron Aebleskiver (which is actually an egg poacher/biscuit/whatever skillet; in fact, mine is exactly like this one, down to the name on the handle) which I had never used, and put the rest of the dough into it.

Twenty minutes later, I had wonderful crispy scones! And they definitely don't need additional butter; I put some peach jelly on one and enjoyed it immensely.

I have been looking for more recipes with whole wheat; this is one I'll definitely make again.

Okay, I know someone will ask, so here's the recipe:

Honey Whole Wheat Scones -aka- Heaven on a Plate

Ingredients:

2 2/3 c. whole wheat flour
3 T. sugar
4 T. honey (or more; you can't go wrong with this, really)
5 tsp. baking powder
10 T. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup heavy whipping cream (the original recipe called for buttermilk, but I had a carton of heavy whipping cream that needed to be used up. We are not counting calories in this recipe, let me tell you.)
You could easily add fruit to this recipe either frozen or fresh. I may try blueberries next time.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Blend flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a bowl. Add butter and mix until crumbly. Add the honey, eggs, and buttermilk. Stir together until well blended.

Either:

a. Spoon batter/dough into well-seasoned or greased cornbread/scone skillet. It's a bit of a wet dough.

b. Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead gently, adding flour if needed. Cut dough in half, pat into a circle shape, and then score with a sharp knife to make 8 triangle shaped scones. Place onto cookie sheet (a round stoneware casserole baker would do well for this, too) and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each scone comes out clean.

and then, the most important step: ENJOY!

Comments

Popular Posts