I'm a bit disheartened tonight, and not just because of what happened in Boston yesterday. But I did come home last night and I sowed seeds, because it was, truly, the only thing I could think of to do. Mostly herbs, green eggplant (now that will be interesting!), brussel sprouts (never grown those before), and other stuff... My garden will be quite unique this year.

But to talk about the disheartening part... I said a few weeks ago that the more complicated my work life became, the simpler I wanted my home life to be. This included, and includes, my internet usage. I don't have time for drama, bickering, or name-calling. I literally do not have time. My internet time consists of bits and pieces here and there. If I spent all day online like some people seem to, I would not ever get another word written, among other things.

And I don't want that kind of negativity in my life. I realize that life can't be all Pollyanna, either, but... we're (mostly) all adults. I can't see why--in a group of adults who have, up until now, gotten along fairly well with only a few little dustups--my group of friends who hang out in a specific Ravelry group cannot act like adults now. This is the second time in as many weeks that there has been sniping and name-calling and stalkers and bitterness and DAMNED DRAMA.

Back in 2002, I left a writers group that I had invested a lot of my time in, made quite a few friends, and basically ended up being my 'home' on the internet. I'd left an email group a few years before that, mostly due to volume (although I do remember quite a bit of drama), because 600+ emails per day is overwhelming in anyone's life. I'd done the same thing back in 1997 when a different group fell apart. In 2011, I did the same thing with the Antique Spinning Wheels group on Ravelry. Some of those friends have remained. You know who you are.

I am an introvert. Most of my friends are online and most of them I've never met. Some I've known for more years than I care to count. I am not a social person. This is my social outlet. And yet, I can't give as much time as I used to be willing to give, mostly because I don't have that sort of time anymore.

I missed this whole recent drama. I've pieced together enough of it to know what happened. I'm... disheartened by it. I'm also very sad.

I have no good solutions. But all of this, and other things, have made me realize that I do really need to limit my 'screen time' and take a bit of a break from most of the internet, as well.

It's about to storm again, even though we just had a swift and fierce spring storm blow through here. The dusk chorus is singing outside, even amid lightning and thunder. I think it's time for me to log off and head upstairs to write a bit before bed.

Comments

Popular Posts