Snobbery. That's all I can say.(Note: It's a NY Times article, so you might need to sign up (for free) to read it, but I didn't have to.) Why do authors of various genres feel they have to crush wannabe writers under their boots? Do they feel threatened by these people? Frightened? What's the deal?

The real question should have been not "Do you feel you have a book in you" but "Have you ever written a book." I imagine they would have received a lot less than their 81% rate with that question. Quite a few people I know have hopes and dreams. Heck, I want to live in a castle, but what's the likelihood of that ever happening? But that doesn't stop me from wishing.

There is nothing wrong about wanting to write a book. It's good for people to have dreams. It's even better when they try to make those dreams come true.

I think the guy who wrote this opinion piece assumed that every person who says they want to write a book will write one. And that every person who writes a book will want to get it published. And... what? All these people will clog up the slush piles? It's not like his books have to go through the slush piles, I imagine. So what's the fuss?

If 81% of the people surveyed said they'd like to oh, learn how to paint with watercolors, do you think the watercolor artists of America would be up and arms at the cheek of these... peasants?

Being a "writer" is not some exalted pedestal to strive towards, people. It's a job just like any others (albeit one I love dearly.) A job, I'll admit, that has both advantages and disadvantages. A job not many people (even, sometimes, other writers) truly understand.

I hope that 81% really do write their books. And I hope they are happy with their creations, and don't pay any attention to snobbery. I don't know about you, but I left grade school behind many years ago. I don't need to put other people down to feel good about myself. And I certainly don't need to belittle other people's dreams to validate my own.

Obviously certain other people have not learned that lesson yet. Tsk.

Comments

Popular Posts