What I know:

I've been doing some digging to try to find out how old the house is, and the earliest record I've discovered so far was from the 1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance maps. The house shows up there, but with a very different 'footprint'.

In 1904 (along with having an entire block in land) the house consisted of the front four rooms and a one story addition off the back. There was also something else off the back (a porch? I'm not sure) and the front porch didn't stretch all the way across the front. (Which makes sense, because the front porch goes right across the bay window at the moment.)

Sometime between 1904 and 1912, the footprint changed again. A two story addition was built on the back, or else they build the two upper bedrooms on top of the one story addition. My dad thinks they would have just torn down the addition and built new. The porch or whatever it was off the back remained. (Now that part is the kitchen/utility room.) This makes it seem like a Foursquare, which is what I thought it was at first.

Between 1912 and 1922, the porch was extended across the entire front of the house. And between 1922 and 1929, most of the land was sold off and the house next door (still standing) bought my house and a tiny bit of the land.

Unfortunately, the courthouse suffered a fire in the 1970s, and I've heard they lost a lot of records, so I'm not sure what I will find when I go to look up the property records.

The latest dated fire insurance map was from 1941, and the house remained unchanged. So I'm not sure when the existing kitchen was built.

There is a house in town that consists only of the front four rooms and a smaller addition off the back (like mine was in 1904) and it does resemble a Colonial Revival. However, I'm considering putting some ornamentation on the four gables (and yes, I realize I have yet to post a pic... there's one here.)

Comments

Popular Posts