Days 2 & 3

Monday was pretty much a repeat of Sunday. Mom switched her day off (thanks, Mom!) to help Dad and me, and Bekah and Jess came up with Ethan for a while. We cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned, and well, cleaned. Tore up more carpet. Breathed in more dust. Found more lovely oak floors. Dad removed the bathroom tile from the hearth in the dining room. Yes, bathroom tile. Mint green, like the bathroom. And no, I forgot to get a picture. (The fireplace is cast iron and slate, evidently. Painted with a neat design. I will get a picture of that, at least.)

 

Yesterday, Dad and I took the rest of the radiator covers off, and I started painting the utility room. I also started bringing boxes to the house, and the ones that aren’t empty are now piled against the damaged wall in the entry room. (It’s even more damaged now, thanks to a couple of box corners.)

 

The radiators are dated 1903, so that could be when the house was built. As far as we can tell, the floors are original, and the radiators were there from the beginning. (The floors were cut out so the radiators fit right into them.)

 

All but one radiator works. That one was the leak that cemented parts of the carpet pad to the floor, but I still have hope of scrubbing that up. It will become a nice shelf in my office/studio.

 

Yesterday, Dad and I ventured into Storage to attempt to locate my bed, since my bedroom was pretty much ready to go. We both thought it was on the right or left side, but ended up finding it in the very back, behind the china cabinet. After much finagling, we did manage to get it out, and I spent the night at the house last night. It’s far too quiet, I miss Chloe, and I need a clock ticking ASAP. Every once in a while the house would crack (I’m not kidding, one sounded like a gunshot) and I would be wide awake again. It will take me a bit to get used to the ‘normal’ house sounds of this house. (Not to mention the mice or whatever were having a field day and knocking things over downstairs.)

 

But anyway. It will be home soon enough.

 

More cleaning tonight, and I have to get the utility room finished before the washer and dryer come.

Comments

Unknown said…
RE: shot.
Wait until it rains ;-)

Popular Posts