I noticed today that I actually have five different colors right now; one of the seedlings mutated into a lighter purple. So, since they all were blooming, I took pictures:

This is the common, dark purple color of spiderwort. It's a lot darker, really, than in the picture.

This is the mutation, from seed. The petals are actually larger on the mutant.

This is the very pale purple that I found at Meijer. As you can see, it has larger petals too. (I know it looks like it has four petals, but it doesn't. That's another flower.)

This is the pink spiderwort. Its petals are more similar to the original purple, but the leaves and stalks are narrower.

And not a very wonderful picture of the white. It's hard to take pictures of white flowers in full sunlight. Again, these flowers resemble the purple more than the mutant purples.


It's really striking to have the two shades of purple in one spot together. I would eventually like to have all the colors together in a bed, I think. But not this year.

So far today I have planted more stuff, cut down one of the smaller honey locusts and trimmed the others a bit, planted more stuff, watered all my plants, and sowed the shady garden mix in the spot I wanted it in. It's supposed to be 90+ today, but it's not that bad because there's a nice breeze and the backyard is still shady, so that is where I will be going next.

Comments

Popular Posts