"You do realize that by killing Jacob Daulton, you put in motion the events that led up to all of this?" Amalea asked.

"What do you mean?" Kyren asked, finally able to look away from the house. If he walked inside, what would he see? Beth? Or some forgotten ghost of the human he had loved?

"If you hadn't killed him, the Hunt would not have been free for the Council to bind." Amalea took his arm to lead him away from the house. "If the Hunt had not been bound by the Council, then Magdalen would not have any chance to try for the throne, because they would have been banished long ago."

"And Bethany--and my daughters--would have died," Kyren said. He tried to push past the hurt of her words, since he knew she did not mean to hurt him. "Or gone mad; either way he would have murdered them." He pulled his arm from her grasp. "Perhaps this is all my fault, then, and I was right. The only thing I regret about killing him is that my 'crime' was discovered before I could take both my daughters and Bethany to safety."

Aha! Everything is Kyren's fault after all. I knew it!

Poor Kyren. He's not very happy at the moment.


(copyright, as always, belongs to me.)

Comments

Popular Posts