I spun my first yarn Saturday*. It wasn't very pretty. I used roving that had already been felted, it seemed, but I wanted some thick chunky yarn and that is what I got. It's okay, though. I can use it. Now, I am working with soft white wool roving. It's going a bit better.

The book I have, Start Spinning, is absolutely worthless in my opinion. I learned more by watching the lady at the farmer's market in Bethel last summer--and I only watched her for five minutes.

Note: This is not a new hobby. I wanted--originally--to spin yarn for doll hair, because it's much cheaper to spin it myself than to buy it. So I'm going with that.



*I decided that if I wasn't intending to use my spindle, then I should sell it. So I bought another one** and used it.

**The spindle that I have is a Turkish Spindle, and I found it a bit difficult to figure out. So I bought a regular one that came with fiber to spin (although I already had some fiber, so I haven't used what the spindle came with yet.

Comments

Unknown said…
Your first yarn is never pretty. However, it is yarn, so congratulations! :) I learned without a book, too--I bought a learn-to-spin kit off eBay and taught myself using the page of instructions that came with that and various sites on the Internet. I've never tried a Turkish spindle, but I think I recall that the point of the cross is just so that you have a center-pull ball at the end without having to re-wind your yarn. Am I correct in remembering that you sold your wheels?
Jennifer said…
It felt a bit awkward for me to start with (the Turkish Spindle, that is); I think once I get going it will ok to use. I bought a bottom-whorl spindle kit from etsy, and it came with some fiber I haven't used yet. Yes, I did sell the wheels. If I do end up spinning in quantity, I think I will save up and buy one of the smaller modern spinning wheels. I still don't have room for a traditional style one. :)

Popular Posts